Tuesday, June 16, 2009

On the North side of Winthrop Street, between Flatbush and Bedford Avenues is an interesting pre-war six-story building. It has a very modern look to it at the same time and I was a little surprised to see it was built in 1931, I would have guessed sometime closer to 1940s. There are 77 residential units in it, according to Propertyshark. To me the building is mostly unremarkable, until I happened to look up and noticed on the façade a sundial. I would love to get a closer look at it, will have to carry along a more substantial camera with a telephoto lens one day. It did make me wonder if a sundial works when affixed in a vertical rather than flat position, I’ll have to research it.*

Sundial

55 Winthrop Street

* According to Wikipedia, wall sundials are quite common, and simply based on the predicability of shadows. I guess I just never noticed.

Explore posts in the same categories: Brooklyn, Daily Walk, Apartment Bldgs

No comments:

Post a Comment